New York State Brewers Association Board Agreement
I, __________________ understand that as a member of the Board of Directors of the New York State Brewers Association, I have a legal, fiscal and moral responsibility to ensure that the NYSBA does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of the organization, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward.
As a member of the board I will:
- Interpret the organization’s work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as a spokesperson
- Listen carefully to my board colleagues
- Respect the opinion of fellow board members
- Respect and support majority decisions of the board
- Recognize that all authority is vested in the full board only when it meets in legal sessions
- Keep well-informed about developments relevant to issues that may come before the board
- Will participate and attend all of our board meetings and understand that I may be relieved of board duties if I miss any
- Will attend our yearly board meeting
- Become actively involved in at least one committee
- Support NYSBA events and initiatives through participation
- Bring to the attention of the board any issues I believe will have an adverse effect on the organization or those we serve
- Refer complaints to the proper level on the chain of command
- Recognize that my job is to ensure that the organization is well-managed, not to manage the nonprofit
- Represent all those whom this nonprofit serves, not just a particular geographic area or interest group
- Consider myself a “trustee” of the nonprofit and do my best to ensure that it is well-maintained, financially secure, growing and always operating in the best interests of those we serve
- Declare conflicts of interest between my personal life and my position on the board, and abstain from voting or discussion when appropriate
As a member of the board, I will not:
- Criticize fellow board members or their opinions, in or out of the board room
- Use the nonprofit organization for my personal advantage or that of my friends or relatives
- Discuss the confidential proceedings of the board outside the board room
- Promise before the meeting how I will vote on any issue
- Interfere with the duties of the Executive Director or undermine the ED’s authority with staff
As a board member, I understand that the organization will be responsible to me in the following ways:
- I will be sent, without request, financial reports and an update of organizational activities that allow me to meet the “prudent person” standards of the law. Further, I expect that I will have information about programs and policies, goals and objectives as appropriate.
- Opportunities will be provided for me to discuss with the Executive Director and the Board President the organization’s programs, goals, activities and status.
- It is expected that board members and the Executive Director will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal and moral responsibilities to the organization.
- Board members and the E.D. will work in good faith with me towards achievement of our goals.
- If the organization does not fulfill its commitments to me, I may call upon the Board President and E.D. to discuss the organization’s responsibilities to me.
- The organization will carry directors and officers’ liability insurance.
Board Member Name Signature Date